This cemetry is located two blocks North of the business district on the West side of HWY 859.
It derives its name from the fact that for many years it was the only cemetery in Edgewood. In recent years it has been called "Northside Cemetery" due to itslocation on the north side of town, and to more clearly distinguish it from the newer Edgewood cemetery which bears the name of Oak Hill. However, all research points to the fact that the correct name of the cemetery is Edgewood Cemetery.
The cemetery was in use from the time Edgewood was founded in 1878 until the mid-1920s or a period of about fifty years. The earliest existing gravestone is thatof Bruce Echols, a child of eight months of age, who died 25 Aug 1889. He is buried on the west side of the Echols' monument, and on the east side of his sister, an infant, who was born and died 4 Aug 1890. The son and daughter of M. H. and Lizzie Echols.
Earlier graves do exist according to descendants still living in Edgewood, but many graves were never marked, and many markers were totally destroyed through the long years of neglect. The earliest burial discovered during this research was Jennie Barns, who was buried there in 1886. The last person known to be buried in the cemetery was Ethel Fay Platter, infant daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Marion Platter, on 23 November 1924.
The county clerk of Van Zandt County, Lester Slaton, made a search for the deed of this cemetery, and located it in Vol. 55, page 232 of his records (transcriber's note: Lester Slaton is now deceased, however records still remain under the watchful eye of Elizabeth Everett, current County Clerk)
The land was deeded 14 Dec. 1896 by John C. Robertson of Dallas to the citizens of Edgewood, one half acre to be used as a cemetery.
The number of people buried here is very difficult to detrmine due to the destruction of many gravestones, and the lack of markers at time of burial, etc. Only about fifteen gravestones survive but, according to all sources, the cemetery was full at the time use was discontinued in mid-1920s. During the course of this research, the names of many people buried here have been obtained that had been lost. A full list of all peoples know to be buried here accompanies this report. However, there are some who will forever be unknown.
(Transcriber's note: this information was printed in Book 4 Van Zandt County Texas Cemeteries that was published in 1995.)
|PARKERSON||J. T. "TOM"||NONE||1901|
|SPEER||J. T. "JACK"||1884||1900|